Monday, December 05, 2005

On an average day I get about 5 hours of interrupted sleep. My work hours are 10:45 pm- 9:00 am and come morning I am exhausted. The drive to work is nearly an hour on back country roads. I could use the freeway but because of it's location and the back roads I would have to take to get on it there is no time or mileage saved in doing so. Besides I think I may have developed a phobia toward expressways. Every winter no matter how little snow there is there is an area just south of the exit I would have to take for work where there is always some kind of accident. The highway ices over and you can't tell by looking at it, but it's very slick. People who drive it every day rarely slow down. It's almost as if careening off the pavement into the hillside, coming to a stop upside with the roof of your car caved in has become an accepted way of life to people around here. I don't understand it but I still do my civic duty, driving about 30mph and going directly to the pay phone at the gas station off this exit and dialing 911 after I've made sure everyone is okay or there are other people who have stopped to help. I've lost track of the number of times I've made this call. This year I've sworn off the highway because I figure it's only a matter of time and I'm the one upside down in the culvert. Icy roads and driving exhausted are not a good combination. I've invested in a set of snow tires made in Sweden or some such place and already I've noted a difference in how the car handles for the better. Uhm, I'm rambling aren't I? And worse, about nothing....I hate that.

Stanley and Beatrice

I'm not a cat person but I've got two strays that have shown up at the house. Years ago we used to have strays all the time. There was one point we took care of 18 dogs. The majority of them strays. The kittens appeared out of nowhere while walking the dogs. My brother has a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and he tore off into the tall grass while we walked the dogs along a dirt two-track. These roads are seasonal and therefore not travelled often. The dog would not come back and the next thing my brother say was a furry little body being thrown into the air from his dog's mouth. The kitten got away and quickly scrambled up a tree. It's probably a good thing because I've seen this dog get hold of snakes and shake them so quickly and violently that the snake's body just comes apart. The couple time's I've seen this my head went light and I got somewhat nauseous. It was a feeling I couldn't shake for much of the rest of the walk.

The next day on the same trail my brother noted the water soaked body of a kitten just off the two track. It had been cold and rained very hard that night so there's only guessing as to it being the weather or possibly injuries sustained from being mauled that took the kitten's life. Two more kittens came walking out of the woods though and with the dogs on leashes the kittens followed back to the house. I've been feeding and caring for them. They've become very affectionate and stay outside. My brother wants them taken elsewhere even though he has developed a soft spot for them (though he won't admit it). I've tried to acclimate the dogs to the kittens but no matter what the Chesapeake continues to try visciously mauling the kittens. So I'm looking for a new home. For the kittens I mean. Beatrice is a calico and is as sweet as one might expect from a young calico kitten. Stanley is also sweet but in that way you would expect from a young male gray tiger cat. Walking out the front door it's all you can hear is those two purring. They don't even mewl, just purr and eat. I'm hoping to get them to a nearby farm (with the owners permission, of course) later this week. I'm actually going to miss these stupid cats.

Christmas approaches and I'm looking forward to spending time away from work and with relatives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home