Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Wild Things

Watching the elephants run circles with sparkled, barely clothed Latino women on their backs was kind of fascinating on it's own. These animals are HUGE and it's a wonder with some of the routine these women weren't crushed. Human cheese spread for the Siberian Tigers nervously pacing in the cages just outside the ring. I can't say they might not have deserved it, or at least the person who has kept them in captivity and trained them like this. The women are simply doing a job and a really unique job at that. I can't say I wouldn't jump at the opportunity myself. Looking at the small animals (by comparison) I call children and seeing the sparkle in their eyes, their mouths agape, hearings the 'wow's' and 'whoa's' of amazement escape their lips is quite another thing. I'm not torn about their response, I don't feel at all guilty about their sense of amazement and wonder. I only smile and hope it sparks something in them. Not something to cage a wild animal but something that will continue to see with awe the wonder and joy in the world just outside their windows and all about them. It's a hope something good will evolve from these awesome creatures' captivity. My hope is that the circus is monitored enough to make certain the animals are properly and respectfully cared for.

That was two Sundays ago when a small circus arrived locally and we received complimentary tickets for our kids at work. As much as I thought I would not enjoy it, I did very much. It was small, simple, focused primarily on acts. I believe it would have been just as enjoyable without the animals but I'm glad for the opportunity to see them as I would likely never see them in the wild. Honestly, a postcard does not do them justice. Neither do the bars on the cage but behind bars certainly displays them better.

I'm reading a book about a young orphan girl who lost her parents early on, has very vague memories and only recalls what her stodgy and spiteful grandmother tells her of them. The grandmother will not even allow the girl to speak her mother's name and anything that is directly related to the mother (toys, the father's paintings, clothing...) has been destroyed. I mention this because later in the book Maya, the young girl, ends up on a ranch in Wyoming where there are wild horses everywhere. The story of course brings to question capturing and training these wild creatures. It also makes the comparison of the 12 years olds life to the horses. It's a book for young adults but it's very good. "Paint the Wind" by Pam Munoz Ryan if you want to check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home