Thursday, November 19, 2009

It's been a groggy, do nothing day. The dogs were walked and about midway blue jays off to the south began screeching and screeching. A few moments after that three deer came charging behind us out of the woods and across the field. My brother and I had to wonder what kind of predator had caused the commotion. I have to admit there was a sense of fear and dread initially because I just couldn't imagine the jays this time of year making a fuss like that over a hunter. My periferral vision kicked in and I made certain to listen closely for any disturbances in the woods. Round the bend and heading back from the field down the sheltered two-track (it had begun to rain so we saught shelter, even leary of what had possibly caused the commotion earlier, probably not too bright.) We discovered it was not a human hunter as no vehicles had passed through and we saw no one on this path back to the house. There were no unusual paw prints to be discovered on the journey back either. Perhaps it was nothing, maybe the deer were rutting to close to where the gathering of j-birds was and they found this upsetting.

No evidence of any large preditor which in a way makes me relieved but it also reminds me that I live in the wild and have to be on alert. Still enjoy my time outside but be aware. In that respect it's like life in general. Make certain to enjoy it, make the most of it and appreciate what I have. Instead of accepting the distractions as the norm I want to be more vigilant and call them what they are instead of giving in.

A poinant Jesus moment this week was at work. One young man was very angry, threw towels down the hall during quiet time, swearing, yelling, refused to pick up the mess after quietly being asked to do so. My thought was this was not an argument that was worth pushing when I could take care of it myself. Another young man was sitting quietly in the hall reading his Bible under lamplight. He kept his frustration over the commotion causing resident quiet and to himself. When he saw me shrug my shoulders, sigh, and start to pick up and refold the towels this young man got up from his devotion time walked over and helped without being asked and without saying a word. He probably suspected that I was trying very hard to not personalize the outburst but I don't know if he knew just how much it affected me. In those seconds this young man had allowed himself to be the physical embodiment of Christ whether he realized it or not. I'm thankful for having had this experience this week. I'm thankful for a job that seems to take it's toll in so many ways and still be able to see the moments when our Creator is watching us and caring for us. Even when we've done absolutely nothing do deserve it.

Amidst chaos there are blessings everywhere and Good will always be present in some form. Let us not trivialize that blessing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home