Saturday, December 05, 2009

It's beginning to look like Christmas in the north. That's alright, and it had better be, because I have no control over it anyway. Keeping the old farm house warm is impossible. Bundle up in all sorts of clothes but that's the way many people live. It would be nice to have hot water but I do have electricity to heat water up on the stove. It's safe, it's protection from the elements, it's home and it's more than what many people have. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't remind myself of that. I could be anyone one of thousands who are jobless and homeless and continue to be blessed with both. More than that, I have family that cares and loves me, and knows my whereabouts, and if they didn't they would be concerned. My absent would be a cause for stress or worry, not something that they look forward to as time away from me. It's a blessing.

Christmas is going to be sparse on the commericial goods this year. It's better that way. I look around me at home and all I see is so much stuff. Most of it doesn't even get used, it just sits there. I'm slowly realizing there is a better way for me. It may not be the way for everyone but it will work for me. It's a challenge and even frightening to let go of some things. But honestly, why do I hold onto a painting by Niagra that I will NEVER have anyplace to put. Would I really want to display it somewhere anyway? (If you don't know, she's very modern, more like a comic book panel style. The painting is one of her 'blue' paintings that I picked up when I lived in Detroit.) And all the busts, and statues, and prints, and stereo equipment, and books, and cd's, and movies, and so many other DISTRACTIONS! When is enough, enough?

I've had a week off from work. It was a good thing to do. I'm rested and feeling better though I still carry an awful lot of stress. A good friend, John Piippo, reminded me that it's best not to take ourselves so seriously. No one, when put into perspective, cares what happens to us, who we are, what we do. It's really a very small number of people who care anything about us, that's just the way it is. The numbers are stacked against us concerning this. What it all comes down to is having a Creator that not only cares, but has named us, before conception, and who knows each of us individually even when we are surrounded by strangers, alone. And that makes us significant again, meaningful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home