Saturday, January 09, 2010

I should be sleeping or at least getting ready for sleep. In a way I suppose journaling is like getting ready for sleep. A chance to unwind, slow down, breathe deep the breath of God and quiet myself for the night.

Tomorrow I turn 45 and I haven't prepared for it. I SHOULD have put in for the day off from work. I SHOULD have made plans to spend with my family. I SHOULD have gotten stuff together to prepare a special meal and a cake. I should have, should have, should have...but I didn't think of it until it was too late. That's one of the potential dangers of having a birthday so close to Christmas and New Year. A person gets so busy with those things (and I have to admit, the birth of Jesus IS a bit more important than the birth of modern day Joseph) that one forgets until it is too late to make preparations to celebrate with the day off. So tomorrow I have 15 hours with unruly teens. It's my own fault.

Had I planned I would have liked to have made some very tasty, perhaps of the Mexican vein, with black beans, chicken, quacomole, fresh salsa, tomatoes, lettuce, onions, all the good things that come along with a south of the border dish. I may have gone to church in the morning. I know I mention this second. Perhaps because it's been so long that I've gone to church. It used to be by choice but over the past few years I would have to put it on the unable to attend list as it's important to me again and I work every Sunday, a fifteen hour shift. So the food would have come AFTER church.

And a cake. My mother offered to bake a cake if I told her what kind I wanted. I didn't let her know. It seemed to depressing after realizing I had forgotten all about it. I'm not even sure what kind I would have chosen. She bakes excellent cakes, from scratch, frosting, pudding, batter, whatever you crave. She takes the time to make it all. We're planning for next week now.

A week or so ago I went to a big blockbuster movie that my brother bought tickets for. Three of us went and it was sold out. I mean there wasn't a seat left in the theater and they came over the speakers asking people to move to the center to make seating easier for those who came in just before the movie started. Honestly, no one was late. We were about 30 minutes early and seating was already getting scarce. Anyway, I moved toward the center and being a big man I typically like a seat buffer between me and the stranger next to me. I knew this wasn't going to happen this day so I very carefully and almost apologetically moved over to sit right next to a young girl who may have been 12 or so.

I was uncomfortable, she was obviously uncomfortable. I knew this because she asked her dad to trade places with her. He refused! He told her he was a big guy too and it would be uncomfortable. I don't have a daughter but I think I'd be willing to trade with her so she wouldn't have to sit next to some stranger. I mean, it was fine and all, but even her two friends (both boys) and a brother wouldn't trade seats with her! What the heck has happened to men/boys in this day and age? I felt bad for her. She dealt with it well though and when the movie started it was all good. I have to say that I'm impressed she handled it as well as she did. A father should know that a girl her age is already probably pretty self conscious. Then to have to sit next to some old guy she doesn't know and have her dad refuse to switch seats with her...I gotta say, she's a trouper.

I won't mention the name of the movie because more than enough has been said about this mediocre film. It looks great (once the 3-D syncs up) but the story is stolen from other much better films. Man if it weren't for how good this movie looks it would NOT be worth watching. We got passes to see another film because of the theater error at the beginning. We will not go to see this movie again. We're holding out for something better. Or at least a different movie, even if it's not something better. I'd rather watch something boring that I haven't seen. If they could make this movie about an hour and some shorter I might go watch it for the visuals. Nah.

Peace throughout the new year, blessings from above, family, friends, neighbors, love....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home